- NZ Day Tours
- Multi Day Touring
- Arrival / Departure Tours
- USD $
- Cart 0
Departing Tauranga, we first cross the harbour bridge, which offers great views of The Mount, the volcanic core 232m high which marks the entrance to the harbour of Tauranga. We then climb up to over 1000 feet to cross the Kaimai mountain range which divides the Bay of Plenty coastal region from the Waikato district, the main dairy farming area of New Zealand.
We soon arrive at Hobbiton, the movie set location for the village in the Lord of The Rings films and of course The Hobbit movie trilogy.
Here we will be met by our guide at the Shires Rest for an informative tour around the movie set location. Stand under the party tree, walk past the Hobbit holes, imagine yourself among the characters. Nestled deep in the rolling hills of the Waikato, this location was chosen for it unblemished landscape. The tours ends at the Green Dragon Pub where you can enjoy a Hobbit Ale and a light lunch [your cost] if you wish.
We then start the journey back to Tauranga, stopping at the summit of the Kaimai ranges at over 1000ft above sea level for some great photo opportunities overlooking the valley far below and extinct Volcanoes in the distance.
Time permitting we also stop at a local honey centre to see the hives and taste some of the special local Manuka honey, and perhaps indulge in a tasty honey ice cream. Finally we return to the ship, passing millionaires waterfront homes lining the beautiful golden sand beaches of Mount Maunganui.
* Scenic sights of Kaimai Mountain Range and Central Waikato
* Hobbiton – Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit Movie Set
* A private informative tour around the movie set
* Lunch at the Green Dragon Pub, as featured in the movie (at own expense)
* Stop at a Manuka honey center to view the hives and a tasting
* Mount Maunganui, including the ocean beaches and the harbour